Here are some of the astounding benefits of drinking mauby along with a quick recipe to make the drink easily at home.
What is Mauby?
Mauby is a popular beverage in the Caribbean islands, drunk ceremoniously by the natives since ancient times. It is not only enjoyed as a refreshing drink but also touted as a medicine for various
ailments. It is a kind of herbal tea made by boiling the bark of the Colubrina elliptica tree with sugar and spices. The spices added vary according to individual preferences, and the chief among them are cinnamon, cloves, anise, Angostura bitters, and vanilla.
The drink has a unique fragrance, is refreshing, sweet, and has an astringent, bitter aftertaste. It is sold commercially as a concentrated syrup that you can dilute with chilled plain water, cola, rum, or cocktails.
Benefits of Drinking Mauby
1. Healthy for Body
You can enjoy Mauby as a tonic for overall health as it helps increase stamina. It helps to cool down your body and acts as a diuretic as well. Besides, it also helps in detoxifying your body.
Mauby tea has anti-inflammatory properties that help alleviate the symptoms of asthma and arthritis. Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties protect against degenerative diseases and chronic diseases like osteoarthritis and cancer.
3. Protection Against Diseases
Alkaloids present in the mauby bark have shown anti-tumour
properties. Mauby has certain compounds known as stilbenes which protects against neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Isoflavones in mauby help prevent breast cancer.
4. Aids Cardiovascular Health
It lowers both blood cholesterol levels and blood pressure, thereby improving cardiovascular health and lowering the risk of heart attacks and strokes. According to a study from the University of the West Indies, when combined with coconut milk, mauby may lower blood pressure.
5. Aids Weight Loss
Flavanols in mauby block fat retention in the body, making it an effective drink for weight loss.
6. Prevents Blood Clots
Mauby bark contains the enzyme bromelain, which helps thin our blood, break down blood clots and prevent the formation of blood clots.
7. Healthy for Guts
It helps soothe an upset stomach and treats diarrhoea and dysentery. It also improves digestion and eliminates pathogens and parasites in the intestinal tract.
8. Other Benefits
Mauby tea helps relieve stress and anxiety. It also has aphrodisiac properties that boost your libido. Mauby bark also possesses chemicals that increase insulin in the blood, thus helping to balance blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
Mauby Bark Drink at Home
What You Need
- Mauby Bark
- White/Brown Sugar
What to Do
- Boil a few mauby bark pieces in 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes. You may add spices like cloves, aniseed, or nutmeg and ginger to the water to enhance the taste and reap additional health benefits.
- Cool the decoction, and leave it to steep overnight. Strain the barks from the decoction the following morning and dilute it with water. You can also add white or brown sugar to make a refreshing drink. Drink it with crushed ice, as this can enhance the taste.
Commercial Mauby Drink
- You can dilute 1 oz of commercially available mauby syrup with 11/2 oz of rum and a juice of ½ a lime for a different taste.
- All herbal teas are not safe for consumption in excess. Hence, moderate consumption is advisable.
- Mauby can also interfere with blood-thinning medications like warfarin, so if you are on such medication, consume mauby only after consulting your physician.