Try a hair mask with castor oil, eggs, and honey for hair and improve the health of your hair naturally without using chemical products.
Healthy, thick hair is a confidence booster and a style statement! Everyone aspires to have a great looking mane. The market is flooded with products that can give instant shine, volume, smoothness, or color to your hair. In addition to the external treatments, you need to keep your body healthy by following a nutritious diet. Your healthy body is reflected in healthy hair.
Apart from looks, your hair acts as a protective shield against UV radiation and helps to keep your scalp cool. The condition of your hair can also reveal a lot about your diet and health.
For example, thinning hair can reveal thyroid problems or a lack of proteins in your diet. A dry scalp indicates a paucity of healthy fats in your diet. If you are suffering from significant hair fall, it could indicate anemia or a vitamin deficiency. Hence, it is essential to nourish your hair, both internally and externally.
Composition and structure of our hair:
Our hair is composed of proteins, amino acids, raw elements, water, and lipid components. Keratin is the protein that accounts for almost 95% of our hair composition. Amino acids, the building blocks of protein, are made up of carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, and sulfur, in order of their quantities. Our hair grows out of follicles located deep in our scalp.
Blood flows in a tiny vessel inside the follicle and hair shaft, providing nutrients for hair growth. Lipids produced from the sebaceous glands around the hair shaft lubricate our hair and also give it its shine. The outer layer of our hair, the cortex, has a pigment called melanin that gives hair its color.
Hair masks for hair nourishment
Hair masks help nourish, moisturize, and condition your hair. Though hair masks are available commercially, they may contain preservatives and other harmful chemicals. You can easily make hair masks at home with ingredients readily available in your pantry. Hair masks can be made with different ingredients to treat specific problems like dry hair, brittle hair, frizzy hair. And scalp problems like dandruff, lice infestation, hair fall, premature graying, and thinning of hair.
Castor oil, Eggs, and Honey for Hair Health
- 2 tbsps cold-pressed organic castor oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk them till they blend. You can add a few tsps. of water if the paste is too thick.
- Massage the paste on your scalp and hair and leave it on for an hour. Wash it out with a mild shampoo. Use this mask once a week for a healthy growth of your hair.
With Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed organic castor oil
- 2 eggs ( use only yolks if you have dry hair)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Take all the ingredients and whisk them together until they blend smoothly.
- Massage the paste on your scalp and apply along the length of your hair.
- You can wrap your head and hair with a warm towel to help the nutrients better penetrate the hair follicles.
- Leave the mask on for an hour before washing it out with a gentle shampoo. Use this once a week for the best results.
How does this mask work?
- Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids, which increase blood circulation when you massage it on your scalp. This boosts hair growth as improved blood supply delivers more nutrients to your hair follicles.
- Stimulates dormant follicles and helps in hair growth. It also makes your hair roots stronger and prevents hair fall.
- Lubricates the hair shaft and increases its flexibility, thereby preventing breakage.
- Conditions your hair, softens it, and also adds shine to it.
- Acts as an excellent moisturizer for dry and damaged hair.
- Makes frizzy hair manageable and prevents split ends.
- Prevents premature graying of your hair.
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal properties help maintain a healthy scalp and prevent dandruff, itchiness, and flaky skin.
- Eggs contain vitamins A and E, biotin, and folate, which contribute to hair health.
- Healthy fats in the yolk moisturize and add luster to your hair.
- Contains protein and sulfur, which are found in your hair too. So when applied, they replenish these essential components in your hair.
- The vitamins and minerals present in eggs are delivered to your hair follicles directly. This prevents hair thinning and also makes your hair thick and healthy.
It is both an emollient and a humectant, and hence conditions shine and moisturize your hair.
- Antioxidant properties protects your scalp and hair from damage due to free radicals.
- It has proteins, minerals, and vitamins that strengthen hair follicles and help the growth.
- It has anti-bacterial properties that treat scalp conditions like dandruff, psoriasis, and other scalp infections.
- Honey acts as a cleanser to keep the scalp free of dirt and oil buildup.