Should you remove skin tags with duct tape at home? Know all about the duct tape for skin tags removal and its effectiveness in this article.
Caused due to excess elastic tissues and skin, skin tags, or acrochordons can be embarrassing and annoying. The small flaps of skin generally grow in the folds of your skin. The good news is, they are typically harmless. Also, once you remove them, they are gone for good. So, we’ll cover how to remove these skin tags with duct tape, but first, let’s learn what causes them in the first place.
Causes Of Skin Tags
General chaffing or continuous rubbing of the skin can cause the skin to tag out. Therefore, skin tags are generally found in your skin’s folds, for instance, in the folds of your neck, armpits, groin, breast, eyelids, and other areas with loose and overlapping skin.
Duct Tape For Skin Tags
- Wash and dry the affected area properly.
- After that, apply a small piece of duct tape over the skin tag. Make sure the area is entirely covered without any wrinkles and bubbles on the surface of the tape.
- Now, wait till the tape starts to come off loose from the corners. Slowly peel off the tape and check if the tag is still attached to the skin.
- In theory, the absence of air and moisture in the covered area leads to the skin cells’ suffocation. Therefore, only cover the affected area to pose minimum damage to the surrounding skin.
- The suffocated skin tag dies and falls off quickly.
- If the skin tag is still attached to the skin, you can repeat the process.
Note: Though the method works for the first time for some people, it can take multiple tries to work for others. Patience is the key when dealing with skin tags, especially in sensitive areas like the eyelids and the groin.
Other Ingredients You Can Use to Remove a Skin Tag with Duct Tape
1. Tea Tree Oil
An effective anti-inflammatory oil, tea tree oil, is a popular ingredient for treating acne and other skin issues. The undiluted form of this essential oil is extremely potent and can dry out your skin; therefore, always dilute it with a carrier oil for application. However, the same property makes it an effective remedy for skin tags. For the method, you can apply the oil on the skin tag thrice a day for a few days. You will notice the skin-tag dissipating slowly. You can also speed up the method by applying the essential oil and following it up with the duct tape method.
2. Garlic Juice
In a closed jar, add a few crushed cloves of garlic with salt and leave the mixture in a corner for twelve hours. After that, blend, sieve and extract the juice of the garlic. Apply the juice on the skin tag and apply the duct tape to the area. Repeat till the time you see the skin tag fall off or dissipate.
3. Castor Oil and Baking Soda
Before bed, apply a mix of castor oil and baking soda on the skin tag. Apply duct tape or a band-aid over the same and let it stay overnight. The ingredients will lead to the skin tag falling off or dissipating in time.
You can get your skin tags removed with OTC treatments as they are less time consuming and give instant results. However, if you are looking for an inexpensive home remedy to get rid of skin tags, the duct tape has your back!
Here’s where you can find the ingredients and supplies for the home remedy: