The health benefits of kombucha with chia seeds reach new heights because of the combination of these beneficial ingredients. Keep reading!
The modern world has become health aware and has started researching certain traditionally touted health foods to ascertain the veracity of the claims made about them. Kombucha beverage, which originated about 2000 years ago in China, is now listed as a functional food after scientific research validated some of its touted health benefits.
What is kombucha?
Kombucha is a beverage prepared by fermenting sugared black, green, or oolong tea with yeast and bacteria’s symbiotic culture. This process allows beneficial bacteria, acids, and trace amounts of alcohol to form in it. It has an acidic sweet and sour taste and is slightly carbonated.
Russian researchers have studied the beverage and concluded that it might have a few health benefits if consumed in moderation. The chemical composition of kombucha includes organic acids, sugars, amino acids, purines, polyphenols, pigments, lipids, proteins, bacteria, carbon dioxide, minerals, B & C vitamins, and enzymes.
You can limit kombucha consumption to 2 servings of 8 ounces each per day to reap its benefits.
Health Benefits of Kombucha
1. Aids Metabolism
The minerals like copper, iron, manganese, zinc, and nickel aid metabolism and also maintain healthy body tissues. Polyphenols in kombucha prevent diseases caused by oxidative stress like cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and also neurodegenerative diseases.
2. As a Probiotic
Lactic acid bacteria in kombucha act as a probiotic, promoting digestion and alleviating diarrhea and IBS. It helps detoxify the body and aids weight loss too.
3. Liver Health
The different acids in kombucha help detoxify your liver and also protect it from the harmful effects of drugs, chemicals, bilirubin, and pollutants. They balance the levels of steroid hormones in your body.
4. Other Benefits
It improves mood and therefore counters anxiety and depression. Additionally, it lowers cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Not only this, it has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties as well.
This is an edible seed of the Salvia hispanica plant, which originates in Mexico in the Aztec and Mayan civilizations. Chia seeds are nutrient-dense and energy-rich.
They contain carbohydrates, proteins, fiber, vitamins A, B, E, D, antioxidants, minerals, calcium, and omega 3 fatty acids. Ideally, one should soak and add it to other food items like cereals, rice, or vegetable dishes as a topping.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are fiber-rich and therefore they help lower cholesterol levels and promote heart health. Their antioxidant content helps in preventing chronic diseases and promotes skin health too. Regular consumption of chia seeds fosters digestion because of the rich fiber content of the seeds. Besides, it has great calcium content that facilitates strong bone and teeth health. Chia seeds regulate blood sugar levels and boost energy levels as well.
Health Benefits of Kombucha with Chia Seeds
The two ingredients have very potent benefits to improve the overall health of a person. When combined, the health benefits of kombucha with chia seeds are numerous. Both the ingredients help in boosting the energy levels and alleviates mood as well. Both the ingredients better digestion and promotes the assimilation of nutrients while also improving the functioning of your pancreas. Besides, it detoxifies the liver and improves your cognitive ability. It also kills yeast infections.
How to add chia seeds to kombucha?
Soak 1/2 cup of chia seeds in 2 cups of water or juice. Leave for at least an hour till they absorb the liquid and swell to a gel-like appearance. Add the gelled chia seeds to 4 cups of kombucha.
Precautions and side effects
- If you don’t follow strict hygiene measures, harmful bacteria and mold can grow in kombucha.
- Can cause allergic reactions and nausea in some people.
- Can lead to lactic acid buildup in the body if consumed in excess.
- It is a high energy drink and can increase your calorie intake.
- Can cause bloating and digestion problems because it is carbonated.
- Excess consumption can lead to diarrhea.
- The high fiber content of Chia seeds can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, and bleeding if you suffer from chronic gastrointestinal diseases like Crohn’s disease.
- Always soak chia seeds and then add to kombucha. Dry chia seeds pose a choking risk.
- The high sugar content may cause obesity, fatty liver disease, and diabetes.
- Not recommended for pregnant and lactating women.
- Contraindicated in those with weak immunity.
- Has caffeine, so prudent consumption is advisable.
- It has small amounts of lead, and excessive consumption can result in lead poisoning.