Get rid of earwax clog the easy way by trying any of these home remedies for built-up earwax. Since all of these recipes are natural, they hardly have any side-effects.
Earwax or cerumen is actually meant to protect our ears from any dust, dirt, and water from entering the inner parts of the ears. It’s a mechanism that lubricates and prevents the growth of bacteria in the ear. But when not cleaned for a long time it can raise problems like:
- Discomfort in ears
- The feeling of blocked/ stuffed ears
- A loss in hearing ability
So, if you are also experiencing any of the above-stated symptoms then you might like to know about the possible home remedies for built-up earwax. You can even undergo laser surgery to clean your cerumen, but this is not advised to a big mass of people. Surgeries are for those who haven’t cleaned their ears for a really long time and when it’s too late to try home remedies. For those of you who are here to know solutions for the starting stage, try one of these home remedies to clean the wax naturally. Most of the home remedies for built-up earwax are focused upon melting the earwax so that it can come out easily without causing any issues.
4 Home Remedies for Built-Up Earwax
1. Use Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids and is effective against micro bacteria that may accumulate in the earwax. To use it to clean earwax you’ll need a dropper and melted coconut oil.
- Lukewarm the oil and use a dropper to pour a few drops of it into the affected ear.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Now, tilt your head to remove the melted ear wax by using a cotton ball.
2. Use Almond Oil
Almond oil is a good choice to remove the ear wax. It also softens the ear wax and makes it easy to remove it completely. Simply pour 4-5 drops of almond oil into your ear and let it sit for 20 minutes before cleaning the wax with an earbud or cotton ball. You can ask one of your family members to pour the oil in your ear.
3. Use Baby Oil
Baby oil is a mineral oil that moisturizes the ear wax which in turn makes it easier for you to remove the latter. You’ll need baby oil and a cotton ball to perform the following steps.
- Pour a few drops of baby oil into the ear with the use of a cotton ball or dropper.
- Now, block the ear by using another cotton ball so that excess oil doesn’t get out.
- Take out the cotton ball from the ear after 10 minutes.
- Use earbuds to clean the excess wax off.
4. Use Saline Water
Saline water dissolves the ear wax totally and is as effective as any other available ear drops. You can combine eating salt with lukewarm water to process saline water. Use either a cotton ball or a dropper to drop the water into your ears.
- Mix a tablespoon salt in warm water and stir until it dissolves completely.
- Soak the cotton ball in the saline solution. Now, squeeze some drops of the solution into the ear making sure that it does not come out (tilt your head, so that affected ear faces ceiling).
- Let the water penetrate in. Do not change the position till then.
- Now bring your blocked ear towards the ground so that the saline solution drains out completely.
Note: Be careful while using earbuds as to not twitch your ears harshly as it can cause serious issues to the eardrums, which can also result in a permanent hearing loss.
Try any of these home remedies to get effective results. If you are not satisfied with the results, we recommend you to try this twice or thrice before coming onto a decision as these are the natural methods used since ages.