Have you ever experienced welders flash? Know what it is and how to get rid of it by using tea bags for welders flash here.
What is Welders Flash?
A flash burn or corneal inflammation caused by bright UV light is a welder’s flash. This flash burn is also called an ‘arc eye.’ Like sunburns cause skin inflammation, burning sensation, and skin sensitivity; similarly, flash burns have the same effect on the eyes. In general, the swelling subsides in two days, and the eyes repair themselves. However, not taking proper care of the eyes during this period can lead to infections as well.
The Symptoms of Welders Flash:
- Mild to severe pain in eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Bloodshot eyes
- Constant watering of eyes
- Blurred vision
- Irritation and feeling of something in the eye
Causes of a Welders Flash
As mentioned earlier, direct exposure to bright UV light can cause welders flash. For example, directly looking into the bright UV light created by the welding torch. Other causes include:
- Looking directly at bright sunlight
- Welding torch
- Prolonged exposure to certain lamps including halogen or a photographer’s flood lamp
Tea Bags for Welders Flash
There are several medical treatments for welders flash. However, it can be treated at home with simple kitchen ingredients as well. One of the most effective home remedies for welders flash is using tea bags for the eye- green tea bags or chamomile tea bags to be more specific.
Green tea bags are a great source of antioxidants (tannins). They help treat eye problems like conjunctivitis and stye. It also detoxifies the eyes and reduces inflammation, treating welders flash.
Chamomile tea bags, on the other hand, have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and mildly astringent properties. These properties treat chronic dry eyes and produce tears. In addition to this, using chamomile tea bags can help treat blocked tear ducts, welders flash, and conjunctivitis.
How to Use Tea Bags for Welders Flash
- Take two tea bags of green or chamomile tea and put them in hot water for three minutes. You can also use old tea bags from your morning cup of green tea.
- After that, keep these tea bags in the refrigerator for ten minutes or until they cool down.
- Place these tea bags on your eyes for fifteen minutes.
- Repeat the process twice a day until your eyes feel a little better.
Note: Drinking green tea or chamomile tea improves the quality of your tear duct film, making it easier for the eyes to remove impurities when required and keep the eyes moisturized. You can also use a simple eye drop along with this home remedy for faster recovery.
Other Precautions you Should Take When Dealing With Welders Flash
- It would be best if you only touched your eyes with washed hands
- Staying indoors and avoiding sunlight helps your eyes to heal faster
- Wearing sunglasses saves the eyes from dust and dirt that can harm the inflamed cornea
- Minimal exposure to screens and stress on the eyes helps them heal more quickly. So, avoid watching too much television, reading books with small fonts, and being on the phone for long hours.
As they say, prevention is better than the cure, try and avoid welders flash to treat your eyes better. Wear protective glasses if you work with a welders torch. Also, stay away from blinding light and wear sunglasses when going out.