Home Featured Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones | Pine Cones for Dogs

Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones | Pine Cones for Dogs

by admin

Know whether can dogs eat pine cones and what effects it can have on your pet. Read more to find out!

Dogs and puppies are drawn to pine cones by the scent of the pine sap. Being curious by nature, they tend to play with, chew or try to eat the pine cones lying on the ground, which they may come across during their walk.
Dogs should not eat pine cones. The ASPCA (The American Society for the prevention of cruelty to animals) classifies pine trees as toxic for dogs and cats. Pine needles and sap are the parts of the tree that are dangerous to cats and dogs.

Pine cones are not toxic, but pine needles and sap may be attached to the pine cone. The sharp needles can perforate your pet’s intestines, and the sap of the pine tree can cause allergic reactions. If your dog is prone to allergies, s/he is more likely to be allergic to pine sap as well. The pine tree also produces pine oil which can cause gastrointestinal problems if ingested. Pine cones lying on the ground could also have traces of pesticides or fertilizers sprayed on the pine tree. These chemicals are toxic to your dog.

Pine cones are also covered with hard scales, which can splinter when chewed upon by your dog. These have the potential to pierce or irritate your dog’s throat and stomach. Pine cones ingested in excess can cause vomiting or block your pet’s intestine, necessitating surgery.

Are Pine Cones Safe For Puppies?

Pine cones can cause severe problems like intestinal blockages and vomiting in puppies. Pine cones do not pass through their intestinal tract easily. Hence, it would help if you took care to see that they don’t
eat pine cones.

How to Keep Your Pet Safe From Pine Cones?

Take your dog walking on a leash to be better able to control his actions. Avoid taking them to areas where there is a possibility of finding pine cones on the ground or pick up pine cones and needles and remove them from your dog’s sight. Feed your dog an hour before taking them out for a walk to
discourage them from eating anything they find on the ground. You can also take along a few treats to feed them on or during the walk.

If you find your pet chewing on a pine cone, grab it out of their mouth immediately. Train your dog not to touch or eat anything lying on the ground. Train him to obey the ‘drop it’ command. Distract your pet by taking along a ball or his favorite toy so that he will leave the pine cones alone.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats A Pine Cone

If you suspect your dog could have eaten pine cones, watch out for allergic reactions like swelling, breathing trouble, or trouble walking. There could be other symptoms like loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, drooling, bloody stools, a bloated or painful abdomen, watery stools, excessive thirst, excessive urination, or coughing. If you notice any of these symptoms, take your dog to the vet right away. Keep your dog hydrated but do not attempt to induce vomiting or self-treat your dog.

Related Articles