Ditch the toxic commercial mascaras and save some dollars by creating this homemade mascara without aloe vera using all-natural ingredients, that will benefit your lashes!
It is apparent that some people don’t want to spend their money recklessly on buying cosmetic products. Besides being expensive, commercial products can be harsh and toxic for your skin in the long run. It’s the same for mascaras, they can potentially reduce the volume of the lashes and cause them to fall. When you apply waterproof mascara, you have to go harshly to rub it off from your lashes. This force and rubbing can do considerable damage to the eyelashes. That’s why homemade mascaras have become the trend for people who care about their skin.
Homemade mascaras are the best alternative to ditch the commercial mascaras that contain chemicals and certain toxic composition. You can use natural and non-toxic ingredients to DIY a mascara at home. These ingredients will enrich your lashes and increase the growth by giving them nourishment. However, there are certain ingredients that you should restrain from using as they can make the mascara smudgy. One such ingredient is aloe vera, if you use aloe vera in your homemade mascara, it’s most likely to smudge when you sneeze or if you wear it for too long. Other than that, egg yolk can make the mascara to easily come off. Thus, we’ve DIY-ed this homemade mascara without aloe vera to give you the best experience with the DIY mascara.
Homemade Mascara Without Aloe Vera
- 1/4 tsp beeswax
- 1 tsp Shea butter
- 1/4 tsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Glycerine
- 1 capsule of activated Charcoal
- 1/2 TBSP Bentonite clay
- 2-3 drops of essential oil
What To Do:
- To begin, melt down the shea butter, beeswax, and coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Now add a tsp of glycerine and stir well and take it off from the heat.
- Now immediately add the charcoal and bentonite clay and mix well with a spoon until you get a paste-like texture.
- Finish off by adding some drops of your favorite essential oil to add a fragrance as well as increase the beneficial properties of the homemade mascara.
- Store it a mascara container and use it whenever needed.
Note: Use the mascara within two months as it doesn’t contain any preservatives, so the shelf life is one to two months.
The healing and anti-oxidant properties of shea butter will nourish and protect the eyelashes and therefore, improve the growth of the lashes. Likewise, beeswax too creates a protective layer on the lashes and makes the mascara smudge-free. You can easily substitute coconut oil with castor oil as both of them work on improving the lashes and giving them volume. Don’t skip adding bentonite clay as it’s the ingredient that will make the mascara to dry faster and stay on your lashes for long. And the activated charcoal will give your eyelashes the dark black color! For essential oils, you can use lavender, cedarwood, or rosemary oil as all of them promote strong and healthy growth of the lashes. You can ever create a combination of essential oils to add to the homemade mascara.
Points to remember
1. If the mascara turns out to be too thick, consider adding 2-3 drops of any essential oil to it.
2. If it turns out too thin, then add a pinch of bentonite clay to it.
3. In case you’d like your mascara to be brownish, substitute the activated charcoal with cocoa powder.