Ever heard of green coffee beans? Learn about green coffee bean benefits in this informative article along with recipes and precautions.
What are green coffee beans?
Green coffee beans are raw, natural coffee beans that are unroasted. Green coffee first shot into prominence when it was mentioned during a television show in 2012 that it might help increase your metabolic rate and aid weight loss.
Since then, it has been sold as a dietary supplement for weight loss. Coffee beans contain a beneficial compound called chlorogenic acid, 50 to 95% of which is destroyed during the roasting process. Hence, people tend to demand green beans more than roasted beans.
Green Coffee Bean Benefits
1. Anti-oxidant and Anti-inflammatory
Chlorogenic acid has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that provide several health benefits, including promoting weight loss.
2. Boosts Immunity
In a study, researchers found it to lower levels of blood sugar and high pressure. The antioxidant property of chlorogenic acid also boosts immunity and helps delay signs of aging.
3. Prevents Diseases
It helps lower the risk of developing chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. It might also help reduce cholesterol levels in your blood. The beans reduce the level of the stress hormone ‘cortisol’ and thereby prevent stress-related heart ailments.
4. Good for Cognitive Functions
It helps in preventing and treating Alzheimer’s by reducing the formation of amyloid plaques in the brain and promoting memory and cognitive function.
5. Aids Weights Loss
Also, it aids weight loss by slowing the breakdown of sugar and starch and preventing fat accumulation. It boosts fat metabolism in your liver and thereby prevents weight gain.
How to Use
Green coffee beans are available commercially in powder form, whole beans, and as pills and capsules as well. A study on green coffee extract has reported that you may consume 400mg of the extract twice daily and it may pose no significant health risks. You can take it in the morning or before a meal for the best results.
- Take ½ to 1 tsp of green coffee powder in a cup and add 1 cup of hot water (90 degrees C) to it. Let it infuse for 5 minutes. Strain and drink before a meal twice daily for two months to see results. You can enhance the flavor and health benefits by adding mint leaves, ginger, or a pinch of turmeric, cardamom, or cinnamon powder.
- Soak 1 cup of green coffee beans in 2 cups of water. Leave it to soak overnight and then boil it, keeping the mixture for 15 minutes on low heat after the first boil. Cool, filter, and store it in the refrigerator. To drink, use ½ tsp of the extract in 1 cup of hot water. You can add honey as a sweetener.
- If you’re using green coffee capsules, take 1 or 2 once a day before meals.
- Ensure that you consult your doctor before taking green coffee beans supplement.
- Buy a reputed brand which supplies good quality organic coffee.
- Excess consumption of green coffee beans can cause the following side effects:
- upset stomach
- bleeding disorders
- muscle tension
- calcium and magnesium depletion
- increased heart rate, irregular heartbeats, and increased breathing rate.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should avoid taking this supplement. The commercially available green coffee beans supplement may have more caffeine than the permitted levels, which may cause serious health problems.
- Caffeine also interferes with other prescription drugs.
- Solid scientific evidence is still lacking about its purported weight-reducing property. It should be used judiciously along with diet and exercise to see positive results.